Monday night was the Fashion Awards hosted by Swarovski at the Royal Albert Hall and as well as everyone who is anyone in fashion, the doors were also open to the public who were able to purchase tickets for the event.
As with any fashion event many people come for different reasons bringing together a whole host of interesting people. The event itself was magical and being in the presence of such a talented room of people was truly inspiring but, as my friend and I were looking around the room we noticed that some people seemed to fit into some distinct categories which I have listed below for your amusement.
- The “I’m friends with the designer”, who proceeded to jump up and down and whoop every time their designer was mentioned and turn round informing everyone within in earshot how they were best friends.
- The darling daughter who was dragged along by mummy, “to meet people”, seen sporting a scowl as they were made to meet yet another important person. Dressed to the nines in something that looked hideously uncomfortable, as if they were walking the red carpet.
- The freebie grabber, the woman who would push you out the way to get to the free swarovski bracelet before you even though there was more than enough for everyone.
- The “I’m better then you as I have a better seat than you”, you know the ones, the smirk on their face as they get their ticket checked, only to discover they’re sitting next to you.. oops.
- The interns and fashion students, the ones trying to juggle three different phones and a glass of champagne, managing social media channels, taking notes and sending emails at the same time.
- The social climber, I kid you not, we saw a woman push to the front of the queue and walk down introducing herself to everyone only stopping to talk to the people she thought might come in handy one day.
- The instagrammer, a bit different to the intern, this one is working for herself stopping every ten minutes or so to take another selfie. She’s livestreaming to facebook and hashtagging like a fiend but overall she looks like she’s having fun.
- And most of all the people who are just genuinely interested to see what goes on at the fashion awards!
We met some really lovely people who work in fashion and overall it was such a fun night, I can’t wait to attend next year.
Words: Gabriella Tavani
Tweet Gabriella @gabbitavani